Review Our Business
Schedule an appointment TODAY! 781-383-0415

Our Company Blog

Chimney Mold & You

Do you suspect that your chimney has a mold problem? If you live in the Boston, South Shore, or Cape Cod area, we hope you will contact Above & Beyond Chimney Service to remove this fungus, which may be harmful to your health and which indicates a moisture problem with your chimney that will only grow worse with time. According to the EPA, “If you already have a mold problem, act quickly. Mold damages everything that it touches. The longer it grows, the more damage it can cause.”

From our level of professionalism and cleanliness to our perfectionism, skill and dedication to education – we believe you’ll find that your experience with us goes far above and beyond your expectations!

From our level of professionalism and cleanliness to our perfectionism, skill and dedication to education – we believe you’ll find that your experience with us goes far above and beyond your expectations!

After remediating your mold problem, our technicians will also be able to treat and/or update your chimney with the proper components so that it is no longer a breeding ground for mold. If you get your chimney into good condition and keep it that way, it will reward you by keeping your family safe and not posing a threat to your wellbeing. However, a chimney that has not received professional attention may be dangerous—putting you at risk for a chimney fire, carbon monoxide poisoning, and potentially serious and costly water damage.

How Do I know if My Chimney has Mold?

Some of our customers are able to see mold growing on their chimney; others smell an unpleasant musty odor, and still others are unaware of the problem until a chimney inspection reveals it. (It is recommended that your chimney be inspected annually by a C.S.I.A. certified technician.) It’s also possible that you or someone in your family is experiencing allergies or other respiratory afflictions that you may come to attribute to your mold problem.

What Can I Do about Chimney Mold?

Hire a professional. And leave the job to a chimney technician—not a roofer or even a mold remediation specialist, as it takes special tools and techniques to fully access the inside of a chimney flue, to clean it, and to prevent future moisture problems there.

Above & Beyond Chimney Service’s trained technicians actually use a closed-circuit camera to see every inch of your chimney. This helps us identify problems but also to guarantee to our customers that we have done the work that we say we have.

Mold removal is done much the same way we approach a chimney sweeping, whereby we use a series of spinning brushes and vacuums to remove creosote, debris, and mold. We then apply an anti-fungal substance to kill the mold, and we will also recommend taking on any necessary repairs to prevent water from getting into your chimney in the future.

Have questions about mold or concerns about your chimney? Contact Above & Beyond Chimney Service today by calling 781-383-0415 or filling out our online contact form.

Prevent and Survive a House Fire

Everyone is used to the idea of smoke coming out of his or her chimney, but if you see flames and sparks…you likely have a chimney fire. The key question is, how can these situations be prevented and what do you do to keep your home and family safe?  It is important to have a chimney cleaned and inspected at least once a year.  To schedule your appointment call Above and Beyond Chimney Service and lets get started in preserving your most precious assets.

No one can promise that you'll never experience a house fire...but, you can minimize your risks. You can also rest easier knowing your loved ones know what to do in case of a fire.

No one can promise that you’ll never experience a house fire…but, you can minimize your risks. You can also rest easier knowing your loved ones know what to do in case of a fire.

How can I prevent a house fire?

Your standard fire in the fireplace shouldn’t get enough air to burst into a harmful powerhouse, but it is still a fire, so make sure you keep flammable objects a safe distance from the open fire.  Also, make sure kids and pets are supervised while a fire is burning.  What homeowners have to understand is that there are things inside of the chimney that you cannot see that could spark a fire.

Creosotes are highly combustible particles released from the wood of a burning fire that builds up inside of the chimney.  These combined with other blockages caused from animals or debris can lead to chimney fires.  Aside from fires, these blockages can result in draft problems that could lead to poor air quality and carbon monoxide poisoning.  This is why it is important to have a Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) certified technician come and do annual maintenance on your unit.

How can I keep my family safe during a fire?

If you experience a fire, there are a few ways to make sure you and your family are safe.  One of the most important items to have in your home is a smoke alarm.  If a fire breaks out, these will alert you so you can focus on getting out.  If your home has a large floor plan or multiple levels, you need to install multiple alarms.  If you want to go a step further, you can install sprinklers as well.

Next, it is important to make sure you have a plan that includes two exits from each room (in case one is blocked) to evacuate the home.  When evacuating, get as low to the floor as you can to reduce chances of inhaling smoke.  Remember, if a door handle is hot…do not open it. Also, if a piece of your clothing catches fire — stop, drop and roll to extinguish the flames. If you have children or elderly people in your home, you may do routine drills to make sure that the plan is still fresh on the mind and accessible for every member of the family.  Have all members meet at a common gathering place when out and do not send anyone back in the home after escaping.

 

Converting to Gas Logs

What is Involved

When the weather turns cold, many people start thinking about converting their wood-burning fireplaces to gas logs. There is no denying that pushing a button or flipping a switch is certainly easier than bringing in logs and building a fire. However, it is important to have all of the information about the conversion before making any plans and setting them in motion. You also may want to consult with an experienced professional. We’d love to help you make the best decision for your home.

Converting a wood fireplace to one using gas logs isn't a DIY job. It is critical your chimney functions properly.

Converting a wood fireplace to one using gas logs isn’t a DIY job. It is critical your chimney functions properly.

For most people, the main factor that they are concerned about is how much the conversion will cost. This depends, in large part, on what exactly they are hoping to accomplish with the conversion to gas logs. A homeowner who wants their gas logs to produce a great deal of heat should expect to spend more. However, it may cost less than for someone who is more concerned with the ambiance than the heat. In addition, the more detailing the job requires, generally the higher the price as it will involve more labor to complete.

Easier, but Not Problem-free

It is true that a fireplace with gas logs is more convenient for most people than a woodburning model. This is because it is usually as simple as pushing a button on a remote control to have a roaring fire going in moments. However, it is important to keep in mind that a fireplace with gas logs requires very much the same maintenance as a woodburning fireplace. Both need to be cleaned and inspected by a professional chimney sweep on an annual basis.

When choosing gas logs, some homeowners are surprised at how many different options are available. Regardless of what choice they finally make, it is vitally important that they are vented logs and not unvented logs. Vented logs allow smoke and other combustible materials to safely exit the home, while unvented logs will allow them into the home and quickly create a dangerous situation.

Even those who consider themselves to be handy around the house should not take on this conversion themselves. Dealing with gas can be extremely hazardous and must be done by someone who is properly trained for the job. Even if it seems that things worked out well, there could be dangers that an untrained person would never know about until it was too late.

It is important to research every aspect of the conversion before hiring a contractor and getting things rolling. The Chimney Safety Institute of America is a great resource for all kinds of information concerning the fireplace and chimney. In addition to a number of great articles, their website features a tool that helps homeowners find certified professionals in their areas.

Many people love the convenience of gas logs in their fireplace but there is much more to the conversion that just convenience. Homeowners should understand the cost and the maintenance involved with this type of project before they get involved with it. The Chimney Safety Institute of America is a great starting point for doing important research prior to making a decision.

Recent Posts

Find Posts About