All About Thermocrete
Thermocrete is a product that gets a lot of use in chimneys in Southern Massachusetts, thanks to those of us at Above & Beyond Chimney Service. We love this particular ceramic flue sealant because it’s a great solution for masonry chimney restoration and repair of older chimneys. Our technicians underwent extensive factory training to understand when Thermocrete should be used and how to correctly apply it for best results.
Want to know a little bit about Thermocrete? Here are some of its main selling points:
- It withstands extremely high temperatures.
- It eliminates the need to downsize the flue substantially.
- It’s affordable, even for multiple-flue chimneys.
- It increases a chimney’s overall stability.
- It holds up to corrosive elements that damage many types of liners.
How Does Thermocrete Work?
Thermocrete, a ceramic flue sealant, is sprayed on the entire interior surface of your chimney flue. It goes on as a semi-liquid that adheres very well to masonry surfaces. After we apply it to your chimney, Thermocrete will get to work sealing all the small holes and cracks in your masonry, essentially making it fireproof. It will also bind tile together, close eroded tile joints, strengthen your overall chimney, and may improve its efficiency by creating the proper sized flue. We will spray multiple layers of this ceramic material inside your chimney to create the most durable chimney seal possible.
Does My Chimney Need Thermocrete?
Thermocrete may be a good option for you if one or more of the following applies to you and your chimney:
- You have heat-damaged clay tiles inside your chimney that need to be repaired.
- You’re looking for a cost-effective alternative to completely relining your chimney.
- You have a chimney that serves a gas, oil, wood, or coal-burning appliance.
When Is Thermocrete Not Right for My Chimney?
If any of the following apply to your chimney, you are likely better off having your chimney fully relined:
- Your have clay tiles that have holes or gaping cracks in them.
- You need to downsize your chimney flue to accommodate a gas or oil appliance.
One of our Trained technicians will be able to tell you if Thermocrete is a good solution for your particular chimney and will help you compare and weigh your options.
If you have any questions about Thermocrete or would like to schedule an appointment, call 781-383-0415. We’re here to help!
Another chimney relining option is Golden Flue, a cast-in-place masonry liner. Ask us more about it today to see if this is the best solution for your relining needs.