We Fix Leaky Chimneys In Framingham MA
It’s not uncommon for a chimney to leak. Over the years, or with certain weather and seismic events, a lot can go wrong with a chimney’s masonry and components. If your Framingham chimney is showing signs of leaking, now is the time to have your chimney serviced before it becomes dangerous and costly.
What Causes Chimney Leaks?
Above & Beyond Chimney Sweep of Framingham works throughout southern Massachusetts and regularly addresses just about every possible cause for a leaky chimney.
Ways water can move into your chimney system include:
- Cracks in the bricks and mortar
- Warped, rusted or missing chimney flashing
- A chimney cap that’s seriously damaged (or missing)
- Deterioration within the concrete chimney crown
If ignored, a leaky chimney will introduce more and more water into the system, where it can cause further and more expansive damage to the interior and exterior chimney masonry and to the building materials of the home adjacent to the chimney.
These are some of the ways water gets into your chimney and can be caused by:
- Lightning strikes
- Powerful wind storms
- Poor-quality materials used in building the chimney
- Pounding hail
- Season after season of extreme weather temperatures
- Old age
Watch for 5 Signs of a Leaky Chimney
We encourage our Framingham, MA, customers to be on the lookout for these five common signs of chimney leaks.
- Water in the firebox
- Strong musty odors coming from the fireplace, attic or crawlspaces
- Dampness/discoloration on walls and the ceiling near the fireplace/chimney
- Efflorescence (white staining) on exterior chimney masonry – indicates that bricks are absorbing water
- Crumbling mortar on the roof – not necessarily a leak yet, but it could lead to one soon
Call us if you see any of these leak signals. We’ve been repairing chimney leaks in and around Framingham for more than 20 years. Here’s how we do it.
Framingham Chimney Leak Repair Services
When our crew goes to a customer’s home to look into a chimney leak, the first thing we want to do is an inspection, which will tell us why the leak is happening, where it’s centered, how extensive it is and the best way to resolve it.
Some of the ways we solve leaky chimney problems include:
- Masonry waterproofing when there are minor cracks in the bricks and mortar
- Chimney flashing repair/replacement
- Repair of chimney caps/installation of new full-width caps
- Repair or rebuilding of chimney crowns
- Tuckpointing to add fresh new mortar to areas where mortar has decayed
- Brick replacement
- Partial and complete chimney structural rebuilding
The Value of an Annual Chimney Inspection
By having your chimney professionally inspected once a year, you’ll be able to stay on top of early signs of damage and malfunction and get them fixed before they turn into major leak issues or worse. We’ve helped our Framingham customers save big money by preventing costly repairs. We can help you, too.
Above & Beyond Chimney Sweep of Framingham, MA, provides leak repair and other chimney repair services for historic chimneys and newer chimneys. Let us help you keep your chimney safe, functional and beautiful all year long.
Speak with a chimney expert today at (774) 244-3980.